} -->

Tuesday 7 May 2013

Mango & Blueberry Raw 'Cheesecake'


Serves 10
260kcal / serving (approx)
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Setting time: 1hr



My gran was cat-sitting for Hatty (my 5 month old kitten) over the  bank holiday week end while I was visiting my brother and his girlfriend in Liverpool. I came back yesterday to a happy well-fed cat and a bowl full of beautiful bright mangos that my gran picked up on Sunday at Vaisakhi, the Sikh New Year festival held in Traffalgar square. Prepare for a week of mango-inspired posts! I've been wanting to try making some raw vegan desserts for a while now, and these mangos were the perfect cue to get started.

I have never tried making a raw cake before, so I looked around different raw food blogs for inspiration and found a great blog called Sweetly Raw by Heather Pace. This recipe is adapted from Heather's Mango Cheesecake. If you are interested in trying out more raw desserts I definitely recommend you check out her blog.

Crust
1 1/2 cups almonds
2/3 cup pitted dates
1/4 cup shredded coconut
3 tsps water or 1 tsp vanilla essence and 2 of water 


All natural unprocessed ingredients


Grind the almonds into a flour in a food processor.

Add the coconut and vanilla/water. Grind again to incorporate.

Press evenly and firmly into the bottom of a round pan.




The crust



Mango filling
2 cups of chopped mango
1 cup cashews
3 T agave syrup (honey or maple syrup work too)
2 T lemon juice
4 drops vanilla essence
2 T coconut oil



Blend all but the coconut oil and butter until smooth and creamy in a blender.

Add the oil/butter and blend to incorporate.

Pour the filling over the crust.

Chill in the fridge or freezer until firm. You can keep in the freezer to eat over a few days if you like, I think this cheesecake tastes even better when it's been frozen overnight and eaten when it's just slightly thawed, it's like ice cream cheesecake!


Topping

Chocolate topping sauce
Fresh blueberries

Once the filling has set drizzle the chocolate on top and serve with blueberries.

Keep frozen and have it as mango ice cream cheesecake!





No comments:

Post a Comment